Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hidden illness


As if I don't wake up early enough every morning... but now I wake up, every morning before sunrise to run. This is a new joy for me, and I truly love how I feel afterwards. The biggest challenge for me hasn't been the running but the breathing. For those of you who don't know I have asthma. I have had it since I was a baby. I haven't had any issues with it for a long time–mainly because I wasn't doing many physical things. Now that I am exercising more it's resurfacing. In High School, I had some difficulties with it when I was in sports.

I couldn't help but think while I was running this morning, how asthma is going to affect Carson as he gets older. Unfortunately, Carson too has asthma, no thanks to me. Is he going to have limitations on what sports he can play because of his breathing? Is he going to be able to play soccer, football or baseball? For his sake—I hope he "grows-out-of-it" as they say. Chances are he'll have forever like his mom and grandma...

1 comment:

  1. Yay running! It's such a stupid sport. :-)

    I ran three miles again yesterday. I am to the point where I actually enjoy two miles, two and a half are OK, but three miles can suck it!

    There is a race in July---the Winking Lizard Shot in the Dark. You can either race 2 miles or 4 miles. I am leaning towards two. Want to join me???????

    ReplyDelete